Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Triumph Ch 2 Preview

Sorry for not keeping the blog updated as much.  I've fallen behind on my writing a bit and am struggling to catch up.  Chapter 2 is done, except for editing, and I hope to have chapter three done by the end of the week.  Chapter 2 should be posted a week from Friday.  Here is a brief preview, enjoy!

****

Augras took a deep breath as he stepped onto the dock and immediately regretted it.  After three years on the southern continent and two months at sea, Ruar smelled like shit and filth and rotten fish.  The sea-soaked boards of the dock creaked under his feet as he settled his massive weight on the wood.  The first time he visited the city his grandmother had been able to throw him in the air.  The last time he visited Ruar, just before leaving on his expedition, his uncle had threatened to.  Well, they won’t be able to do that anymore.

“It’s amazing what your people have accomplished.”  Marishka said.  The tall Mincenntti woman regarded the city before them with fascination.  The humans and orcs working the docks gave her a wide berth as the proceeded down the dock towards the harbor.  Marishka was a head taller than most human men, but with the lithe, spindly build of an elf.  Her skin was a darker grey than most orcs, and though her pointed canines weren’t as fierce as an orc’s tusks her utterly alien appearance made even the burly orcs step aside for her.

Of course, they may also have been clearing the way for the massive Minotaur and Centaur that were following closely behind.  The Minotaur was massive, even larger than an orc with the head of a bull and a strong, muscular body.  The Centaur had the body of a horse and the torso of a Mincenntti, making him quite tall but not quite as physically imposing as the Minotaur.

“You haven’t even seen the castle yet.”  Augras smiled at the memory of Greenthorn Castle.  He always enjoyed coming here as a child; even if it always left Trogar in a bad mood.  His grandmother was always a delight, and never seemed to hold it against him that he didn’t look like a full blooded orc.  “It’s amazing what you can do with ingenuity and cleverness.”

“Those same attributes serve you well in the higher arts too.” She added.  “But I do look forward to seeing what wonders your people have built.” 

He could tell the Mincenntti woman was being genuine.  For all the wonders her own people created, they still lived in stone huts and used stone tools.  Seeing the craftsmanship resulting from steel and iron was a magic in its own right.

They were met at the end of the harbor by his uncle Rodarek, the second youngest of all Jeanette’s children.  “Augras!  Is that really you after all these years?”  The orc craned his neck to look up at him.  “You’ve seen to grow into yourself, finally.”

“I was reforged during my journeys, uncle.  I’m no longer the child I was when I left.”

Rodarek looked from Augras to the Mincenntti, and then to the Minotaur and Centaur following behind.  “I can see that.  Who are your friends?”

“I’ll introduce them at the castle, Uncle.  It will get tiresome if I have to keep repeating myself.”  Augras smiled lightly as Marishka continued to look about the city.

“Heh, you don’t think Dorian is going to just let your friends waltz into the castle into the Queen’s presence, do you?”

A knowing smile crossed his lips.  “He might object, but I don’t think Grandmother will let him.  Plus, he’ll want to see them firsthand, and hear what I have to say.  I’ve brought victory home with me, uncle.”

If Rodarek had anything to say to that, he kept it to himself.  Which pleased Augras well enough, as he knew he was going to have to tell his story numerous times in the coming weeks.  Augras had imagined many times what it would be like when he returned to the city.  Sometimes he imagined cheering crowds as he showered them in the riches of the south.  Others he was a fearsome sorcerer riding in on black clouds.  But the truth was more satisfying.  People simply watched in awe as he led his procession towards the castle.  Oh, he knew that they were in awe of his companions; he didn’t have any delusions about that.  But they were his retainers, and being the loan familiar figure amidst such wondrous companions would give him just the right sort of mystique.

“We’ve arranged a room for you in the city, so that you can rest before-”


“I may not look like my father, but I’m not my mother either.  Thank you, but I’ll sleep at the castle tonight.”  Was that a deliberate insult?, he wondered, I’ve been away so long I don’t know the political climate.  I have to remember that this may not be a glorious homecoming.

2 comments:

  1. Promising start (I read already on Literotica).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why didn't post here the new part of the story?

    ReplyDelete